A forward spring line is placed from the stern of the sailboat to the dock. In reverse gear, the sailboat is slowly backed. The spring line prevents the backward motion of the boat and swings the bow away from the dock. One may also use the rudder to vary the direction of boat thrust, to aid in holding the boat to or in swinging the boat away from the pier. Once clear, the line is released and the boat is placed in forward gear and steered away from the dock. This video shows a US SAILING Basic Cruising Class learning to use a forward spring line.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades