Taking down the mainsail is also called flaking the mainsail over the boom. The mainsail is lowered and laid side to side over the top of the boom. Sail ties are then placed to secure the sail. The sailboat should be pointed into the wind or the mainsail will be blown off the boom. If there is significant wind, the mainsail's sheet should be loosened and the mainsail doused. It can then be flaked once the sailboat is at anchor or docked at port.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades